Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Viewing, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

This is a 2007 French film based on the autobiographical commentary of "Elle" magazine editor Jean-Dominique Bauby, following his "cerebrovascular accident" (a massive stroke) which left him with locked-in syndrome. He was completely paralyzed and unable to speak.

I didn't have any expectations for this movie because before tonight I had no idea that it existed. Having said that, I made sure to keep an open mind. I must admit that I have some preconceptions about European films, and especially about French films. I repeat, I made sure to keep an open mind.

This film was exquisite.

It touched me deeply. Obviously, it wasn't a warm and fuzzy "feel-good" movie, but then again, maybe it was. It left me deeply reflective without any spiritual panic. Take that as what you will, just know that I have a certain fear of oblivion.

The photography and framing was shockingly poignant. As I mentioned, I have some preconceptions about French films, and one of them is an inexplicable talent for photography and framing. Even with that preconception, I was impressed. The entire cast was talented, and it was stupendously written. Rich with symbolism and depth, it's a film people could watch over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment